Keeping a journal encourages the understanding and application of Bible readings. Even if one does not often go back to re-read entries, the discipline of condensing Bible readings or prayers into a journal entry makes them more memorable. Summarizing in your own words is the litmus test of understanding (tweet).
Ideas To Increase Benefit From Journaling
- Be Orderly
- Record a summary statement for each chapter of scripture read.
- Keep record of prayers and subsequent answers in order to stay encouraged.
- Write about internal joys and sorrows.
- Keep a running dialogue between yourself and God.
- Be Creative! Find what works for you and do it systematically and sincerely.
- Plan for Periodic Reflection (Weekly or Monthly)
- Review what you have done with the intention of knowing God better, obeying Him, and sensing His direction through the sometimes mundane routines of duty.
- Plan to Share Some Special Blessing or Insight From Your Journal
- Gather choice nuggets and exchange them with someone special. Celebrate!
- Note Milestones & Significant Events
- Record the Spirit’s impressions upon one’s heart as significant events to be remembered.
- We have the opportunity and awesome privilege as parents (or future parents) of identifying for our kids signs of God’s intervention in human affairs and in our personal lives.
- Become an expert at planning for suitable recognition of the power of the Holy Spirit as evidenced during the accomplishment of your life mission.